The other evening, we put together a very impromptu get together with some neighbor friends. What was a bad experience, turned into a great one!
Earlier that day we were at a family gathering for a graduation party. These kind of get togethers are always a little nerve racking for me because of Little R’s food allergies. As you can imagine, there is always a lot of food around with so many people to feed. My family has gotten pretty good at thinking and planning ahead so that Little R can have a safe visit, but this visit turned ugly!
There were a lot of kids visiting at this gathering, so one of my uncles had planned for a fun activity for them. The first red flag, or what should have been for me, was when he gathered the kids and had them go search for pine cones. Yeah, you know where this is going. I was busy socializing with other relatives, having my own fun, so I was not paying much attention. The next thing I know, Little R came up to me with a very frightened look on his face and told me that all the kids were playing in PEANUT BUTTER! You can imagine the skipped beat that my heart experienced at that moment!
I couldn’t believe my eyes! Little R, with a very sad face, walked off to the other side of the yard and told me he would just play alone until they were done. BUT, that was NOT good enough! Peanut butter is not easy to clean up! I knew that no matter how much effort was placed in hand washing, there would still be peanut butter lingering. This party was no longer safe for Little R.
I very quickly decided that we HAD to leave. What was worse was that Little C was covered in said peanut butter! I had my mom take him inside to wash up as best as she could until we could get home for a real shower and change of clothes. Little R was NOT happy about my decision to leave. So, I very quickly came up with a change in plans… our own backyard bon-fire!
I quickly called my hubby to send him out for a fire-pit. I then called some of our friends in the neighborhood. We ended up having a GREAT time that night roasting marshmallows and making S’mores. In spite of the horrific experience earlier in the day, it just goes to show what a positive attitude can do. (And, no, my attitude was not positive at first, I must confess…)
I am sorry for the long post, but I had to get all of that off my chest! You are probably wondering why I am sharing so many details. I think it is important for our friends and family members to get a clear picture of what it is like living with these horrible food allergies. Thanks for listening.